Monday, September 19, 2011

Anyone know a lot about brakes?

While replacing my rotors and pads on my Explorer, the right front caliper pushed one of it's pistons out and green fluid gushed out. What was that fluid? (i assume it was HSMO brake fluid) I properly installed everything and appear to have no leaks. Unknowingly at the time, I replaced some of the fluid with DOT 3 fluid. I was told your not supposed to mix the two.



I bled the brakes to get the last air out of them and dark fluid came out, which I assume is heavily moisterized brake fluid. But I don't know how it changed color from green to dark brown that fast?



The fluid that came out of the brake caliper, was that brake fluid? if not what was it and how do I replace it? The brakes are currently still a little too squishy, should I just flush the system and try with new brake fluid? or have a caused another problem on accident. I'm pretty hand with making vehicles go fast but apparently not with stopping them. :PAnyone know a lot about brakes?You said it. Yes by all means flush the fluid out of the system and start over. Does the book say DOT 3 is ok. Why did you have HSMO brake fluid in the system. Need to make some trips to a resource and get the answer. Good luckAnyone know a lot about brakes?HSMO is not good for a car that is not made to use HSMO Brake fluid. It's petroleum based and will eat the rubber seals in your master cylinder, calipers, valves and rubber brake hoses. The only cars that I know of that use it as Citreon, Rolls Royce, some Audis, and some jags.

Report Abuse

Anyone know a lot about brakes?get the proper fluid and flush the system out with it until it comes out the right color..Anyone know a lot about brakes?you might have to bleed from the master cylinder