Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I remove STI Brake/gear levers off of one handlebar to install on another handlebar?

I'm moving components from one bike frame, a cracked one, to another older frame and have to change the handlebar to an older system. I don't know where to start. It's not like older brakes that you take an allen wrench to and within minutes the brakes are off. Do I start with the philips screw? Or do I remove the hood and go from there? Thanks in advance for your help!How do I remove STI Brake/gear levers off of one handlebar to install on another handlebar?The STIs should have a hidden Allen screw under the break hood. You will see a indent on the plastic right above where the rubber hood sits. You do this from the top side of the lever housing. I forget the size Allen, but you can slide it underneath the hood and wiggle a little to catch the Allen bolt in there. If you can't seem to find it, roll up the hood and you will be able to see it's location. Once you know where it is you'll be fine, it just seems hard for me to explain it. So I hope I was clear enough.How do I remove STI Brake/gear levers off of one handlebar to install on another handlebar?allen screw under hood

MR is right. I just put ultegra on one bike and dura ace on anotherHow do I remove STI Brake/gear levers off of one handlebar to install on another handlebar?on mine you undo the brakes so the cable goes slack, and that lets you remove the hood and then get to the clamp with a little screwdriver. you know that all shimano stuff has tech docs on the web? also, i reckon bikeforums.net or sheldon brown (search on google) are prolly better for qs like these.



g'luck!How do I remove STI Brake/gear levers off of one handlebar to install on another handlebar?What they said. Go here and you can look at the parts diagrams and installation instructions for most components: http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/ind
  • structuretoptr
  • fight man for control of
  •