Monday, October 24, 2011

Repurposing brake pads?

I had the brake pads changed on my car and they gave me the old ones back - I am not sure where to get rid of them.......and I am a crafter and these are so sturdy-ish lookin - I was wondering if anyone has any creative, craftsy type ideas on how to repurpose brake pads? Dont worry about answering if your response is going to be something juvenile like %26quot;make it into a dildo%26quot; or something equally childish - it really is a waste of time and well.....lameRepurposing brake pads?You probably shouldn't as they may have asbestos in them. The backing of the pads is just shaped to the brake caliper and made from steel. It may be best to just throw them away. I do like the dildo idea thoughRepurposing brake pads?I know what you mean. They really are kinda cool, and after they are washed they are safe - no asbestos worries. It is the dust that is dangerous, not the pads.



Just a thought - the friction surface is readily carved to a depth that would let you wipe paint into the scribed areas, while the surrounding area is already smooth. From there, I hope your imagination is better than mine.Repurposing brake pads?I once made stick men out of bolt and nuts, with a big nut as a head, breathing apparatus and mini tank at the back.

These men all rested/stood on old brake pads. Friction bit at the bottom.

I used to have them in different positions etc, they were sprayed mainly matt black and I sold them at camden market for 15 quid each.

I sold thousands so there's a chance someone knows what I am talking about.