Monday, October 24, 2011

96 ford Aspire makes odd sound like something UNWINDING in the shifter! What is it and how can I make it stop?

Ok I dont know how to describe this except if you have ever heard what it sounds like when a metal windup toy is winding down, thats the sound! It does it when you turn the ignition on/off, also when engine is not running and you take your foot off the brake. This has happened since I bought it almost 4 yrs ago, seems to happen a little more often now. WHAT IS IT AND DO I NEED TO REPLACE/REPAIR SOMETHING??? I love this funny-looking little car, its been extremely reliable and gets great MPG, but this noise has been a constant worry to me! The guy who changes my oil just shakes his head and says it must not be too serious, or makes a joke about the hamster's wheel needing serviced, but he is not the one who could be stranded on the side of the road some dark and rainy night! Any info would be appreciated! thanks!96 ford Aspire makes odd sound like something UNWINDING in the shifter! What is it and how can I make it stop?Classic transmission bearing failure noise. It will do that forever without harming anything. The part is relatively cheap but the transmission may have to be split to change it. Watch the fluid level and check the drain for metal filings. If you get sick of it you can source a junkyard transmission.