Thursday, June 2, 2011

Depressurizing and pressurizing your fuel system? (details inside)?

I'm going to change the fuel filter on my aunts 1991 lumina. The problem is i'm not sure on how to depressurize and pressurize the fuel system. I'm looking to change the fuel filter. I've changed a fuel filter once on a 95 chevy blazer with a little help of my friend.



I'm only 16 and im SUPER good at working on cars. I know what to do and all that. I've been changing brakes and brake pads and all that work off and. Ever since i was 6 years old, i changed my first tire lol.



What if i dont depressureize and pressurize the fuel system? Will the car blow up? My aunt might give me the car since im getting my permit next summer.



Reason im doing this is because itll stall when you let off the gas, and i maybe figure its the fuel filter because she said it hasnt been tuned up in 4-8 years. And its been sitting there 3 years without being driven. It runs great, its just that damn stalling.Depressurizing and pressurizing your fuel system? (details inside)?The safest way to depresurize is to remove the fuel pump fuse, then crank the engine about 5 revolutions. This could cause the check engine light to come on and you'd have to get it reset later. Some shops will reset for free. No the car won't blow up if you don't depresurize, but fuel could spray everywhere when you remove the filter if the lines are pressurized. If you have a ingnition source around, then it could blow up. If the engine is running rough as if a cylinder is not firing, check the spark plugs and wires as well.